Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Book Seven: The Price We Pay

Thank you to everyone who cared enough to comment and message me. Its hard to explain how much I need all of you. I tried to think of a way to express how I grateful I am and came up a bit short. I finally decided on a glimpse of book 7, which I officially began this weekend. Early estimates say to look for it here on my blog in September or October. I'll give a monthly update on my progress, probably through Facebook. If you haven't 'friended' me there, here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/Angela7white

 
Life After War: Book Seven
The Price We Pay


“This is Safe Haven refugee camp. Is anyone out there?”
Kevin paused to let answers come, but there was only silence.
“Hello? This is Safe Haven. We are at Lookout Mountain. Is anyone listening?”
The radio crackled emptily in response.
Kevin hung up the mic, worry lining his face. “Been that way for two days. Not a word.”
Marc reached in and flipped the channel to one they hadn’t used since Little Rock. He listened to the static, tuning out the rest of the large camp behind him that was preparing for war. Knives clanked, guns fired, men and women grunted. The babble rose to be deafening, then faded sharply as Marc found the groove.
“They don’t want any more of us to gather. They’re jamming maybe, but more likely, they’re close and everyone who can hear us has gone quiet.”
Kevin didn’t relax. “Are we ready for it?”
Marc sighed heavily. “No one ever is unless they’re doing the attacking. It’s different from that side.”
“Will we win?” Kevin dropped his head and closed his mouth. He hadn’t wanted to let that out. Too many people were already asking.
Marc left without commenting. That was a lie he hadn’t been able to say yet, not even to Angela when she’d asked. Right now, he didn’t think so. They were outnumbered and piecing together an army of tailors, traders, and treasure hunted weapons. The odds certainly weren’t in their favor.
Marc snickered tiredly at his mental joke and allowed himself to be drawn to the firing range despite promising not to interfere with how much Angela was doing. Her days were overfull and her nights were short, but she was happy and that was enough to keep him watching from behind the tape as she shoved a rookie away from the gun bales.
“You don’t touch the guns yet. That’s the second time you’ve been told. Do it a third and you’ll be out of here!”
Marc winced at the shrill snap, but the men around her nodded their agreement. She had a different style of working with people. She was hands-on, in their face as much as any drill sergeant he’d ever worked with, and she had the power to back up every threat she made and they knew it even without her detail. That group of guards on her was excessive, but Marc had refused to even listen to her pouting when he’d doubled it. She wasn’t just his light. She was the light of this camp and she would be safe above everything else. If they lost her, Safe Haven would be deserted in a few hours.
“We won’t,” Adrian answered the thought from behind him, keeping his distance. It had only been a few days and his bruises were still bright, condemning.
“What do you need?”
Adrian’s lips thinned into a hard line as he waited for Marc to look at him. When he did, Adrian tried to grin through the scabs. “I’m supposed to distract you for a minute.”
Marc scowled, fists clenching. “From what?”
Behind him, a loud cheer and clapping echoed.
“From that,” Adrian said. He waited calmly for Marc’s reaction.
Marc spun around to see a line of rookies clumsily rolling and firing. None of them did it through the entire course, but the team leader clearly had.
“Did she ask you to do it?”
“She sent a note,” Adrian stated, chuckling bitterly. “And it wasn’t a request.”
Soothed on that front, Marc shrugged. “Tell her you were successful. I missed it.”
“She meant in a way that you wouldn’t ride her ass about it later.”
“Then you didn’t do so well.”
Adrian smirked. “Yeah. Sorry about that.”
He moved away with a satisfied step and Marc let him. Whatever plans their former leader had, he and Angie were ready for them.
Marc pretended he hadn’t noticed the loud cheer as he studied his mate. He appeared to be concentrating on their perimeter, but he was actually narrowed in on Angela’s gray hair and her flushed skin. He’d never seen her so sexy. He wanted some alone time.
“Will you waste it scolding her?” the demon asked.
Marc chuckled. “Maybe. She’s reckless.”
“The witch has her under control.”
Marc actually laughed aloud that time and drew attention from those closest. He waved them on and went back to his mental conversation.
“No one has my baby-cakes under control.”
“Sounds like you approve. That didn’t used to be the case.”
Marc’s good humor faded instantly. “I understand why now. How can any of us hold all this inside and not be wild? I had my fun in the Corp. She’s having hers here.”
“Dangerous for your child.”
Marc stopped responding and the demon faded back. Marc hadn’t asked him yet about Adrian’s words on Angela’s health, but he would and soon. The demon could feel it coming.
Marc continued his round, pointing his mind back at the bigger picture. He didn’t have time to stress over the baby. He had hundreds of souls that needed care. All the groups he’d fought with had come and then more. Their families and friends were pouring in.
“At least they were,” Marc muttered, thinking about the silent radio and slow front gate. It wasn’t possible for the government to shut down every radio between them and Safe Haven. Was it?
“Need some research done. Isn’t one of the Eagles a Ham operator? He’d know.” Marc allowed his thoughts to flow as he moved by the Mess. It was full, like usual. When people weren’t eating, they were gathering together to draw strength and compare new feats. If he could get them to show that type of bonding during training, they might have a chance, but these men and women all had their own ways of doing things. Getting them to cooperate or compromise was beyond hard and the number of fights kept growing.
“They’re scared,” the demon said.
“So am I.”
“Good. You’ll survive then.”
Angela’s laugh floated over the camp, drawing his attention for a moment. The sound was enough to speed up his heart. “So will she. So will this camp. I’ll find a way. There has to be a way.”
The demon didn’t argue. He hadn’t found it and neither had Angela’s witch, but that didn’t mean there wasn’t one.  He and the witch were spending a lot of time looking for anything that might help. They wouldn’t give up until the last second, but then they had their own plans to follow. Marc and Angela might be willing to give their lives in this freedom fight, but both the witch and the demon had agreed that even an existence in captivity was better than being forced out. Searching the world for another compatible person might take decades now, if it happened at all. Their current hosts had to live and they would.


Have a wonderful summer world,
Angela White

16 comments:

Shawn Mccart said...

You have no idea how many times I've come to this blog expecting word on book 7. Finally word. I got to reread book 6. My suggestion for this book is identify whose talking. I found it hard at times in the other books to know who was doing the talking. If you need a beta reader email me at smccart98@yahoo.com. it will give me something to do while deployed. Thanks for the great books.

Shawn Mccart said...

You have no idea how many times I've come to this blog expecting word on book 7. Finally word. I got to reread book 6. My suggestion for this book is identify whose talking. I found it hard at times in the other books to know who was doing the talking. If you need a beta reader email me at smccart98@yahoo.com. it will give me something to do while deployed. Thanks for the great books.

Shawn Mccart said...

You have no idea how many times I've come to this blog expecting word on book 7. Finally word. I got to reread book 6. My suggestion for this book is identify whose talking. I found it hard at times in the other books to know who was doing the talking. If you need a beta reader email me at smccart98@yahoo.com. it will give me something to do while deployed. Thanks for the great books.

T Jackson said...

Wha hoo!!! So happy to see you!!!

T Jackson said...

Wha Hoo!!! So happy to see you

Mandy Williamson said...

Thank you so much!! Can't wait for the rest!!! :)

Mandy Williamson said...

Thank you so much!! Can't wait for the rest!! :)

Amy said...

I am so freaking happy that you're back! I was worried about you and wished I could help somehow. Charge any price for the next book. I'll pay it!

Rita Bird said...

So thankful you're back!! I've been rereading this series and Alexa's Travels.

bob and ginnys oldest said...

its nice to get a bit of a fix. thanks and enjoy some time spent with laughter and loved ones. good start

Tina Hubler said...

I'd be thrilled to do the job, if you need another beta reader! Reading has been my favorite pastime since I was a kid. I absolutely love the Life After War series and it would make me ecstatic to beta read for you
tinahubler@yahoo.com

April FouDay said...

Hell's coming for ya boys...and this is how you get there!!! Grrrrr September or October....I'll be ready!!

Tina O'Neill said...

Book 7 ....Awesome!
Wishing the end wasn't "Have a good summer" only because that means the book will be AFTER!! Aarrrggghhh ....not pushing, just excited :) Have fun with it Angela :)

Vicki said...

Hope you are well..looking forward to book 7. "But can wait if you need the time"

Rebecca LJ said...

So glad you got your creative juices flowing again. Hope you had a great harvest and have found some peace. I did get the opportunity to read the Bachelor Battles and now have another addiction!
Welcome back you have been missed.

Clark said...

Glad your are back and survived your ordeal . Book 7is looking great can't wait.as other have suggested I would be happy to be a beta reader. Being retired offers me a lot of free time and what better way to spend it reading your work. This's series is the best I have read and I have red many.

Keep up the great writing Angela.

Boyd - bhcmail@gmail.com